Management Company: Homeless Solutions
Date to Remove Job Post: 10/1/2019
Job Title: Property Manager
Job Description: The Homeless Solutions philosophy is “A Hand Up, Not A Handout,” and since 1983 we have been offering shelter, services, and supportive housing to the homeless and working poor in Morris County, New Jersey. The Housing Development arm of our organization currently manages properties which include 74 units of affordable housing, and will be increasing our portfolio in the coming months.
The Property Manager is responsible for managing the day to day operations for all Homeless Solutions, Inc. (HSI) owned or managed permanent residential properties. This includes being the primary contact for tenants, other housing providers, voucher issuers, and other housing organizations including not-for-profits and local governments.
This position is responsible for implementing our high standards for the maintenance and upkeep of our growing property portfolio, and for imparting that philosophy on tenants and those who work for or contract with HSI.
The property manager is responsible to confer with the Director on budget, administrative and tenant matters, which affect the resident population.
This is a full time position with duties which may include, but are not limited to:
1. Manage inspections of buildings by outside regulatory agencies
2. Manage contracted services, i.e. pest control, landscaping, snow removal, alarm systems and cleaning services, and approve invoices relating to residential properties.
3. Solicit and review with HD Director, proposals for larger repairs and contracted
services exceeding $1,500.
4. Maintain acceptable levels of vacancy/occupancy rates based on organizational and industry standards.
5. Manage rental units including: marketing, lease-up, rent and arrears collection, lease enforcement and eviction processes. Strive to maintain 100% occupancy.
6. Re-certify residents’ income in accordance with applicable state and/or federal regulations.
7. Facilitate strong tenant communications, relations and documentation.
8. Oversee unit turnarounds. Conduct all unit inspections as per management direction. Coordinate turn-around with Facilities Manager
9. In association with HD/HSI staff, develop and implement preventive maintenance and capital replacement plans.
10. Provide input to the annual budget process and manage fiscal compliance and reporting.
11. Maintain compliance with all federal, state and local regulations and other mandated guidelines and policies relevant to property management and operations including health and safety, emergency procedures, and quality assurance.
12. Provide input into HD development project concepts to assure operating considerations, applicable tenant laws, etc. are evaluated before and during project development.
13. Support the marketing efforts of HSI by participating in meetings or hosting tours of HSI properties to strengthen our presentation for new development or fundraising opportunities.
14. Provide backup coverage to maintenance staff for receiving and addressing after hours or weekend emergency contact on an as needed basis.
15. Coordinate work order system and review orders. Work with Facilities Manager to schedule and prioritize maintenance tasks.
16. Visit apartments and other locations as deemed appropriate as part of the rent-up process to determine the suitability of a potential tenant.
17. Be mindful of the special needs of our tenant population. Maintain appropriate levels of communication and confidentiality with other staff and outside support organizations.
18. Be an active participant on the HSI team and work collaboratively with other staff, including responsibility for special projects as directed by management.
Job Requirements: - Experienced and knowledgeable in all aspects of the daily operations of on-site property management including working knowledge of the State and Federal Fair Housing Laws, property compliance/file review, tenant conflict resolution, physical site maintenance and employee/employer relations. Preferred experience managing properties with multiple affordable housing funding, including State and Federal funding sources. Minimum of 2 years experience in residential rental property management.
- Certified as a Tax Credit Specialist (or within 6 months of hire)
- Excellent oral and written skills, organizational skills. Spanish speaking skills are a plus. Ability to interact effectively and professionally with coworkers, clients, tenants and outside contacts is essential.
- Ability to organize, work independently, delegate, negotiate and problem solve.
- Knowledge of EEOC, Fair Housing, OSHA, ADA and other applicable public laws. Knowledge of DCA and HMFA requirements related to multifamily construction and lease up preferred.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Sharepoint and Yardi software. Ability to learn and use new programs, including mobile apps, as necessary.
- Must be accessible by cell phone 24/7 to address tenant issues, have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Ability to make frequent trips within the county and occasional trips outside of the county. Ability and willingness to attend evening and offsite meetings as needed.
- Must be willing and able to travel between properties owned by HSI and its affiliates.
- Physically capable of independent travel to properties and visits to sites including those under construction. Ability to walk up 3 stories of stairs. Able to sit, stand, walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to attend occasional out-of-town trainings and meetings.
- Vision requirements include clarity of vision at both close and distance ranges.
- Regular and predictable attendance during the hours required to satisfactorily complete this job is an essential requirement of the position.
Please provide salary requirements in a cover letter.
HSI provides competitive benefits including medical, dental, life, LTD insurance as well as 401k.
No phone calls or mailed/emailed resumes please. Use the link provided to apply.
Homeless Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer.